Which Is More Deadly: an Insect Sting or a Venomous Snake Bite?

Experiencing a snake bite or an insect sting is never a pleasant experience, but insect stings are more deadly than venomous snake bites. Some reports indicate that the risk for insect stings is greater based on the number of insects found in many areas in comparison with the number of venomous snakes. In addition, people are more likely to seek treatment for a snake bite but might put off seeking medical attention for an insect sting.

More facts about bites and stings:

  • Experts say that it is important for a person who has been bitten by a snake to seek medical attention within 30 minutes of being bitten. Doing so helps increase the victim's chances of survival.

  • A tourniquet can be used to help slow the progress of venom into the victim's bloodstream, but the device should not be so tight that it cuts off circulation completely. During transport to a hospital, the site of the bite should be kept lower than the victim's heart.

  • In the United States, about 7,000 to 8,000 people sustain bites from venomous snakes during any given year. Of that number, only about five will die from the bites.

More Info: www.cdc.gov

Discuss this Article

Post your comments
Forgot password?